None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell
Hey bookworms, we’re so excited to share with you The 52 Book Club’s very first readalong!
What is a readalong? A readalong means that we read the same book together at the same time. And whether you’re a seasoned buddy-reader or you’ve always wanted to try a readalong but never had the chance, this is for you!
This month, we will be reading None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell. Jewell is a New York Times #1 bestselling author, returning with a scintillating new psychological thriller about a woman who finds herself the subject of her own popular true-crime podcast.
- Mark your calendars! We will be reading None of This Is True together over the course of one week. We will start reading on Monday, August 28 and finish the book together on Saturday, September 2nd.
- Reading: Each day of the readalong, we will have an assigned set of chapters to read through. (You can find the daily reading listed below.)
Each day will be approximately 70 pages. This may feel daunting for some, but not to worry, the chapters are short and fast-paced and if anything, you might have a difficult time putting the book down! If you know you won’t have time to read on one of the days, you’re welcome to read ahead. The schedule is a fun way to read alongside others, but feel free to read at your own pace if needed!
- Discussion: After finishing your daily reading, pop on over to Discord to chat with the group! This is a specific space for members of this readalong to chat together and discuss theories, characters, plot twists etc. We’ll have set discussion questions each day too. (Not to worry if you haven’t used Discord before. We’ll help you get it all set up!)
For those who sign up to join the readalong, a link to the Discord server will be sent out later this month.
- Book: Readers will need to source their own copy of the book for this readalong. You can purchase or pre-order a copy here. (Note: There are some darker themes to this book, so feel free to reach out if you’d like content warnings.) See below for a quick blurb about the book!
- Sign up! Want to join? Sign up here or at the bottom of this page. Then, keep an eye on your e-mails. We’ll send more details in the coming weeks!
August 28 (Day 1): “Prologue” – “Sunday, 23 June”
August 29 (Day 2): “Tuesday, 25 June” – “Wednesday, 10 July”
August 30 (Day 3): “Thursday, 11 July” – “Tuesday, 16 July”
August 31 (Day 4): “Wednesday, 17 July” – Wednesday, 24 July”
September 1 (Day 5): “Thursday, 25 July” – “March 2022”
September 2 (Day 6): No reading! Final thoughts, wrap-up & giveaways!
Celebrating her forty-fifth birthday at her local pub, popular podcaster Alix Summers crosses paths with an unassuming woman called Josie Fair. Josie, it turns out, is also celebrating her forty-fifth birthday. They are, in fact, birthday twins.
A few days later, Alix and Josie bump into each other again, this time outside Alix’s children’s school. Josie has been listening to Alix’s podcasts and thinks she might be an interesting subject for her series. She is, she tells Alix, on the cusp of great changes in her life.
Josie’s life appears to be strange and complicated, and although Alix finds her unsettling, she can’t quite resist the temptation to keep making the podcast. Slowly she starts to realise that Josie has been hiding some very dark secrets, and before she knows it, Josie has inveigled her way into Alix’s life—and into her home.
But, as quickly as she arrived, Josie disappears. Only then does Alix discover that Josie has left a terrible and terrifying legacy in her wake, and that Alix has become the subject of her own true crime podcast, with her life and her family’s lives under mortal threat.
Join us! Let’s get started!
Ready to join our very first readalong? Sign up here or by using the button below!
We recommend grabbing your copy of the book as soon as possible, so you’re ready! (Note: None of This is True releases August 8th for US and Canada. It’s available to pre-order now, or will be available at your local bookstore after that date.)
Once you’ve signed up, keep an eye on your e-mails throughout the month of August for more information!
We can’t wait to read alongside you!