The 52 Book Club’s
Summer Genre Challenge
Summer is here and with it comes a brand new, 52 Book Club challenge! The Summer Genre Challenge! This fun new challenge is all about getting out of our usual genre ruts and trying something new this summer.
How it works:
Below you’ll find a list of 16 different genres! Pick one book to match each of the genres (for a total of up to sixteen books.) Over the next three months, try to check as many genres off the list as you possibly can.
While this is a separate challenge from our 2022 challenge, you’re more than welcome to double up and use the same books to complete both challenges. The Summer Genre challenge will run from June 21st until September 22nd. This will be in lieu of any July or August mini-challenges.
Not sure you can read sixteen books in that time span? Not to worry! Set whatever goal feels realistic to you. Maybe that’s ten different genres, or six. The point is to have fun and try genres we might not normally read — the numbers matter less.
Ready to see what genres you’ll be reading this summer?
The challenge includes the following genres: Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Sci-Fi, Children’s Story, Young Adult, Mystery, Memoir / Biography, Romance, Classic, Thriller, True Crime, Non-Fiction, Adventure, Self-Help, Poetry, and Other.
Free Printable Tracker:
Want to start planning? We’ve created a free printable tracker to help you easily log your genre challenge reads. You can download a pdf copy by clicking the download button below.
Ready to get started? Here are a few helpful tips and tricks before you dive in:
- Do you have Goodreads lists for this challenge? Yes! We have a Goodreads list for each of the genres on this challenge. You can add your reads to them and/or browse them for suggestions here. (Don’t forget to join the 52 Book Club Goodreads group if you’re having trouble seeing that link.)
- Do I have to complete the challenge in order? Nope, feel free to worth through the genres in whatever order you like.
- Ugh, what if I really hate one of the genres? Do I have to read it? This challenge is your challenge. You don’t have to read anything you don’t want to. However, we would love to try and help you find a book that meets the criteria but that you’ll still enjoy. One of our favorite things at The 52 Book Club is hearing members say, “I never would have tried this book without this challenge. I was dreading that prompt. But I ended up loving the book!” You never know, that could be you too!
- Can you help me find a book I might like? I don’t know anything about this genre… Yes! We would love to. First, if you’re not a member of our Facebook group, pop over there and ask for help introducing yourself to the genre. We have thousands of bookworms who will shower you with suggestions. Or, another great place to look is on our Goodreads lists. You can see all sixteen of our Goodreads lists for this challenge, here, or check out our Storygraph challenge page here.
- Why is one of the genres listed as “other.” We would have loved to include ALL the genres on our challenge, but there’s just too many! So as a bonus, you get to pick the final genre. Some examples include: Horror, Contemporary, Short Story, Western, Middle Grade, Comic Book, Graphic Novel, Dystopian, Detective, Literary Fiction, Women’s Fiction, Suspense, Cookbooks, Essays, Travel, Religion, etc…
So here’s to all those lazy summer days spent on the beach with a good book!
Happy reading, book friends!